Skills and Employment
Having a skilled workforce is integral to productivity and employee retention.
Are there skills gaps that you need to address in your team? Are you planning a future expansion and need employees with specific skills?
The Growth Hub team can help you identify skills gaps, training providers and workshops to enhance your teams knowledge and expertise.
Have you thought of hiring an apprentice for your business? SEMLEP has put together ‘A Quick Guide to Apprenticeships for Business’.
COVID-19: Apprenticeship programme response
This is a difficult time for apprentices, employers and providers of apprenticeship training, assessment and external assurance. The government is committed to supporting apprentices, and employers continue to build the skills capabilities the country needs now and in the future.
The Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) is responding by taking steps to ensure that, wherever possible, apprentices can continue and complete their apprenticeship, despite any break they need to take as a result of COVID-19, and to support providers during this challenging time.
The support includes:
- encouraging training providers to deliver training to apprentices remotely, and via e-learning, as far as is practicable
- allowing the modification of end-point assessment arrangements, including remote assessments wherever practicable and possible
- clarifying that apprentices ready for assessment, but who cannot be assessed due to COVID-19 issues, can have their end-point assessment rescheduled
- apprentices whose gateway is delayed can have an extension to the assessment time frame
- enabling employers and training providers to report and initiate a break in learning, where the interruption to learning due to COVID-19 is greater than 4 weeks
- clarification on how to record breaks in learning so that funding is not unnecessarily disrupted
- confirming that, where apprentices are made redundant, it is the ambition to find them alternative employment and continue their apprenticeship as quickly as possible and within 12 weeks
You can also watch the below video as an introduction to hiring an apprentice.
National Apprenticeship Service
Support line 0800 0150 600
A quick overview on employing an apprentice can be found at https://www.gov.uk/take-on-an-apprentice
More detailed guidance can be found at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/employing-an-apprentice-technical-guide-for-employers